Sign in to follow this  
neil_se

The Program Thread

do you get bored or something? dont f**k with the program scubasteve, no need for assistence exercises, just try the program in its form for at least a month, then reasses where you want to g. theres a lot of work in that program, if you go heavy you shouldnt need anymore

some interesting programs. just got to pick one to suit me :lol:

Here is my Xmas present to you guys, a program I did in 1991, so hard I only lasted 12 weeks and have never done it since, straight out of my journal.

Squats.............. 125kg x 20

Bench press...... 110 x 12

Chins.................20kg x 7

Push press..........85kg x 10

Dips....................45kg x 7

BB curl................65kg x 7

Thats it. Just one work set. Workout done 3 times a week. This particular workout was done on the 12/12/91. Six sets in total. Good luck.

I started this program on the 28/11/91 and finished up on the 20/2/92.

Current training

Squats 4 x 8

MP 3 x 6

SLDL 2 x 12

Bent Rows 3 x 8

Dips 3 x max

Squats 5 x 5

Bench 5 x 5

DB flys 5 x 5

DB press 2 x 10

Deadlifts 5 x 5

Squats 1 x 20

Push Press 5 x 3

Power cleans 5 x 3

BB curls 3 x 8

Close grip bench 3 x 6

Doing this 3 times a week, upping weights by 2.5kg each day (first time in a gym tonight, ever).

Squats 1 x 20

Overhead Press 5 x 5 (struggled hard with these, don't whether it's because im weak as piss or because my technique is wrong)

Deadlift 3 x 10

Bent over rows 3 x10

After doing this tonight for the first time ever, my body is dead to the world... cannot move

for me that is, i can just lift heavier without wearing out my grip

I recently completed the Smolov base mesocycle for squats, a 3 week program squatting 4x per week:

http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resources/t...vsquatcycle.htm

I squatted 190kgs after this, my best previously was an easy 170kg, 2-3 months earlier.

Use 95% of your 1sm for this, or just cut the weight back a bit yourself.

for me that is, i can just lift heavier without wearing out my grip

Same, i find i can keep going but my figners say no!

When should you move from the skinny guy program to say the compound program?

Im not actually that skinny but I thought Id start out doing the basics and building up from there. Ive been doing if for 7wks now and im upping my weights weekly.

Cheers

I have been working out for about 2 years now minimum once a week but regularily 2 to 3 times.

Have been doing:

Twice a week

3x10 bench 70kg

3x10 Lat pull down 68kg

3x10 BB curl 32kg

3x10 Tri pull down 35kg

3x10 Shrugs 32kg

Once a week

3x10 calf raises 40kg (plus my weight)

3x10 Leg presses 130kg

I am 6'2", 110kg but have a belly that I want to lose also.

I lost 25kg of fat in 2007 but have just maintained that weight and physical size since then. (probably due in part to eating habits)

I broke my collarbone late last year and had some time off but want to get back into it properly and see results.

I want to take it a little more seriously now.

Do I still qualify for the skinny guy routine?

Am I on the right track with this current routine?

your current routine = NO

start on skinny guy routine. it will help you establish a good muscle bass. you could do skinny guy routune forever if you wanted to.

Im not actually that skinny but I thought Id start out doing the basics and building up from there. Ive been doing if for 7wks now and im upping my weights weekly.

Cheers

If you are constantly upping the weights on a weekly basis, doesn't that mean your getting stronger or making gains?? why not ride the wave until the gains stop? I did the skinny dude routine for 8-9months until my gains stopped. If something works for you just keep doing it until you plateau.

I have been working out for about 2 years now minimum once a week but regularily 2 to 3 times.

Have been doing:

Twice a week

3x10 bench 70kg

3x10 Lat pull down 68kg

3x10 BB curl 32kg

3x10 Tri pull down 35kg

3x10 Shrugs 32kg

Once a week

3x10 calf raises 40kg (plus my weight)

3x10 Leg presses 130kg

I am 6'2", 110kg but have a belly that I want to lose also.

I lost 25kg of fat in 2007 but have just maintained that weight and physical size since then. (probably due in part to eating habits)

I broke my collarbone late last year and had some time off but want to get back into it properly and see results.

I want to take it a little more seriously now.

Do I still qualify for the skinny guy routine?

Am I on the right track with this current routine?

Everyone qualifys for the skinny guy routine, when i first started it i was a fat blobber and it seemed to do me good. Now i lift heavier weights then alot of the heavier guys including yourself DRIFTA 4 life. I've been lifting for just under 2 years myself. ;)

i have 2 of my mates starting training at my house .. this is what im going to have them do ..

MONDAY

Squat 4x6-8

Chins Max

Military press 4x8

Bent rows 4x8

Barbell curl 3x8

WEDNESDAY

Squat 2x20

Chins Max

Bench 4x8

Deadlift 4x6

Dips Max

Close grip bench 3x8

FRIDAY

Squat 5x5

Clean & Press 4x6-8

Bent rows 4x6-8

Dips

Barbell curl 3x10

Standing skullcrushers 3x10

i will keep a close eye on the progress over the next 6weeks ive given them a diet they are both around the 70kg mark.. after 6 or so weeks will get them doing 5x5 most likely if they dont bitch

Cheers

If you are constantly upping the weights on a weekly basis, doesn't that mean your getting stronger or making gains?? why not ride the wave until the gains stop? I did the skinny dude routine for 8-9months until my gains stopped. If something works for you just keep doing it until you plateau.

Very true GTShortie!

Ill just keep at it until I plateau, then Ill look at changing my program.

Cheers

this is what i am currently doing.

MONDAY

bent over bb rows 4x8

pullups 3x8

pullovers 3x8

deadlifts 4x10

straight bar curls 4x8

incline db curls 3x8

concentration curls 3x8

TUESDAY

close stance squats 5x8

wide stance squats 4x8

leg extensions 3x18

hamstring curl 4x8

standing calf raises 6x12

THURSDAY

bb military press 5x8

db side lats 4x8

upright rows 4x8

bent over lats 3x8

db shrugs 4x8

FRIDAY

bb bench press 4x8

incline db flys 4x8

skull crushers 4x8

tricep pushdowns 3x8

db kickbacks 3x8

this is the second week of me doing this i was previously doing one of markos bulking programs

im 176cm and weigh 70.5kg

eat six meals a day

all bread is helgas multigrain

breakfast - baked beans or 4 eggwhites on toast

morn tea - tuna sandwich or chicken wrap

lunch - pasta or rice dish

aft tea - tuna or chicken wrap

before training - pasta or rice dish

dinner - chicken or steak with mash pot or baked pot and broc/peas/beans

i am not losing/gaining any weight but losing bf, so if anyone got some suggestions throw them my way

Start training according to YOUR size and strength, not Jay Cutlers.

what do you suggest for me then??

Build your base focusing on the compound lifts. Read the stickied threads and put there advice into practice.

My recent routine. Using kb's and bb in my garage, each workout goes for between around 30 minutes

Squats 3x10

bent row 3x10

bb curl 3x10

Deadlift 4x8

Bench 3x10

Push press 3x10

Complex

10 x 6 (240 reps)

Swings 24kg

Double c&p 12kg's

cannonballs 24kg

thrusters 12kg's

Work out 1 & 2 alternates mon, wed, fri

Complex tues & thurs

Feels good atm, shorter workouts are helping manage injuries. Previous full body was too taxing for them.

Will check back in a a month or two to give progrss.

thanks for your help you've been unbelievable!! :thumbsup:

I really cant say it any simpler than that. If your a novice, train as one. A novice cant

Military press 80kg

Bench 100kg

Squat 140kg

Deadlift 180kg

If indeed you can do that, start training like an intermediate lifter until you can

Military press 100kg

Bench 140kg

squat 180kg

Deadlift 220kg

Your training like a guy with 20 years of lifting experience.

A novice trains 3 times a week, full body. An intermediate trains 4 times a week, mixing it up. An experienced lifter can do anything he likes.

Now which are you. For the record, ALL that information has been available on the website for over 2 years, I guess I should have put in Muscle & Fitness as well.

Search here for "skinny guy routine"

Search google for "Rippetoe Starting Strength"

Pick one and do it.

With the skinny guy routine:

Should the pullovers be done with DB or BB?

Also just wondering when doing Pullovers should you keep your arms straight the whole way or bend at the elbows slightly?

Ive seen a instructional video were the guy bends his elbows which obviously brings the triceps into play more... Ive also seen others keeping there arms straight all the time....

Also just wondering when doing Pullovers should you keep your arms straight the whole way or bend at the elbows slightly?

Ive seen a instructional video were the guy bends his elbows which obviously brings the triceps into play more... Ive also seen others keeping there arms straight all the time....

Just get a 30kg dumbbell and pull the weight over 20 times, leave the protractor at home.

------

There are two ways of doing pullovers, the way intended in the skinny guy routine is where you use a dumbbell and rest your upper back on a bench and get your ass as close to the ground as possible to achieve maximum stretch during the pullovers. The weight used is not so important as the purpose of doing these is to expand the ribcage whilst under heavy breathing. I personally still use a moderate to heavy weight when doing them though, I'm a small guy and I can use a 20kg dumbbell for 20 reps pretty comfortably, maybe use that as a starting point?

The other way I have seen is with a barbell and done lying on the ground or bench so you are completely flat. It takes up room and can be awkward if doing in a commercial gym as you'll prolly hit someone who's not paying attention and walks into the end of the barbell.

Just get a 30kg dumbbell and pull the weight over 20 times, leave the protractor at home.

------

There are two ways of doing pullovers, the way intended in the skinny guy routine is where you use a dumbbell and rest your upper back on a bench and get your ass as close to the ground as possible to achieve maximum stretch during the pullovers. The weight used is not so important as the purpose of doing these is to expand the ribcage whilst under heavy breathing. I personally still use a moderate to heavy weight when doing them though, I'm a small guy and I can use a 20kg dumbbell for 20 reps pretty comfortably, maybe use that as a starting point?

The other way I have seen is with a barbell and done lying on the ground or bench so you are completely flat. It takes up room and can be awkward if doing in a commercial gym as you'll prolly hit someone who's not paying attention and walks into the end of the barbell.

Cheers Ghosty!